December 28, 2017: Baby, it’s cold outside....

Brrrr....

Yep, it’s a record chilling cold this week for New England but alas, a lot of us have to still go to work! Our friends on the Brookline Emergency Management Team have posted some tips for dealing with these bone chilling and dangerous temps, whether you’re driving, walking, or just relaxing at home. HINT: Check those pipes!!

  • Dress in several layers of loose-fitting, lightweight clothing, rather than a single layer of heavy clothing. Wear a hat, mittens (rather than gloves mittens will keep your fingers warmer) and sturdy waterproof boots, protect your extremities and cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs.
  • Watch for signs of frostbite and hypothermia: Frostbite causes a loss of feeling and a pale appearance in extremities, such as fingers,toes, ear lobes or the tip of the nose. If symptoms are detected, seek medical help immediately. The warning signs of hypothermia include uncontrollable shivering, memory loss,disorientation, incoherence, slurred speech, drowsiness and apparent exhaustion. If the person's temperature drops below 95 degrees, seek immediate medical care.
  • Have a well-stocked Home Emergency Kit that includes a flashlight, sleeping bag or blanket, portable radio, extra batteries, a first aid kit, bottled water and non-perishable food.
  • Keep the gas tank at least half-full. Carry Winter Emergency Car Kit, which includes blankets, extra clothing, a flashlight with spare batteries, a can, waterproof matches (to melt snow for drinking water), non-perishable foods, windshield scraper, shovel, sand, tow rope, and jumper cables in the trunk. Limit outdoor time for your pets. Freezing temperatures are dangerous to animals as well as humans.
  • Ensure you have sufficient heating fuel, as well as alternate emergency heating equipment in case you lose electricity. When utilizing alternate heating sources, such as an emergency generator, your fireplace, wood stove or space heater, take necessary safety precautions:
  • Keep a fire extinguisher handy and ensure everyone knows how to use it properly.
  • Never heat your home with a gas stove or oven or charcoal barbecue grill.
  • Make sure all heating devices are properly ventilated and always operate a generator outdoors and away from your home. Improper heating devices can lead to dangerous carbon monoxide (CO) buildup in the home. Make sure you test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause flu-like illness or death. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately, get the victim to fresh air, and open windows. 
  • If you do not have an alternate heating source, trap the existing heat by sealing off unused rooms by stuffing towels in the cracks under the doors. At night, cover windows with extra blankets or sheets. 
  • Wrap pipes in insulation or layers of newspapers covered with plastic to keep them from freezing. Allow a trickle of warm water to run from a faucet that is farthest from your water meter or one that has frozen in the past. This will keep the water moving so that it cannot freeze. 
  • If pipes freeze, remove insulation, completely open all faucets and pour hot water over the pipes or wrap them with towels soaked in hot water, starting where they are most exposed to the cold. A hand-held hair dryer, used with caution, also works well.